Tuesday, September 13, 2011

G.I. Joe Steel Brigade: The One We've All Been Waiting For?

When I was a kid, there was a great G.I. Joe mail in offer for the Steel Brigade figure. What you did was collect your proofs of purchase, fill out the card with what information you wanted on the clip and collect card, send in your S&H, and voila, you got your own custom G.I. Joe in a the mail a few weeks later. I undoubtedly had enough POPs to do this, but my Dad never let me. Fast forward 24-odd years, and Hasbro has finally done me a solid...
They released it in a retailer wave!
Now with a more generic "rank and file" back story on the card, the Steel Brigade trooper is how we all know and love him, but sculpted much, much better. The strap and vest are separate pieces, the Helmet has great ball joint articulation, and the figure is, in general, dripping with detail.
Just look at the drag handle on the back of the vest! This is the level of detail that Joe fans of years past could only dream of!
As accessories go, our boy in Blue (and biege, and, olive...) is no slouch! Just look at all of that swag! The card says he comes with an AR-B Paratrooper rifle with bayonet, rocket launcher, HMG, and grenade launcher. For those of you who would rather know what he actual comes with, he has:
  • M249 Minimi 5.56mm light machine gun
  • Bazooka
  • Scar-H
  • M-4 Carbine with bayonet
  • Oh, and two backpacks. 
Why two backpacks? I guess so you can have him outfitted as a tank hunter, with bazooka & spare rockets, or as a light infantryman with rucksack and carbine. Or maybe somewhere in between. You can almost build the guy a machine gun nest just from the gear he can't carry.
Oh, and here he is on Panthor. Just in case you thought I forgot.

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

8 comments:

jboypacman said...

Am getting sold more and more on this one from the reviews but i must have a Cobra Viper first.

CounterFett said...

I saw those today too, as well as the Hazard viper. VERY good. But this one has been on my 'must buy' list since 1987.

WQRobb said...

I remember that offer as well, and thought that the helmet looks very Halo-esque in hindsight.

Mario! said...

I wish my Target would stop slacking and put some new Joes out!

CounterFett said...

This was found at WalMart, of all places!

They also had wave 4 AND 5 of LEGO minifigs!

Mik said...

Thanks for the Panthor pic! I picked up the original Steel Brigade a few years back on eBay, but this new is a must-have!

Loquacious said...

CF: get better soon! Also, Panthor apparently resembled an ostrich; so says my daughter. LOL.

Yeti's Yell said...

This totally looks liek me playing paintball... Teh Steel Brigade Joe, not Panthor :)