Wednesday, September 14, 2011

LEGO Santa: Reader Help Needed!

Well, I've gone and done it. I came up with a pretty good thing a couple of days ago when I put together my LEGO Santa from all of the old pieces in my minifig drawer. But I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I took modern parts and rebuilt the jolly old elf. But even though the new version has undeniably superior parts, I still like the charm of the older design.

So here's the problem. Since I plan on using this fig quite a bit in the future for other features, which version do you all think looks the best as a representation of LEGO St. Nick? I am going to put a poll up in the upper right corner of the page. Please vote on which version you think is the ultimate embodiment of holiday cheer.
1) Classic Santa. This is it, the original. Many of these parts date back to the '80s. Those are original Castle legs (from the old yellow castle, who remembers that?), an original pirate do-rag, arms from a merry-man, and a backwards space torso (the old shuttle swooping in front of a planet logo). It's basic, it's charming, it gets the job done, and I felt so proud when it first came together that it is hard to turn my back on it.
2) Modern Santa with Black Pants. We can rebuild him, we have the technology. This is the new & improved version I put together with parts from the series 4 Gnome. He has a modern Gnome face and torso, and black pants from the police set. I used black pants because that's the way the actual LEGO fig is. It is harder to photograph. Which brings us to...
3) Modern Santa with Red Pants. Basically the same as #2, but with the red legs from #1. Easier to photograph, and more recognizable as the main man himself, but still with the problem inherent in the older parts...looseness.

That's it for now. Give it a vote and we'll see how it all comes out.

5 comments:

eriochrome said...

I like 3 the best.

Reis O'Brien said...

#3!

Erin Snyder said...

I like #2. The red pants just aren't recognizable as St. Nick anymore.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

#3!!

jboypacman said...

#1 Classic Santa is my pick.