Friday, September 9, 2011

Not Quite Pre-Order Critique! What Dark Eldar Wave Is This Again?

Not quite in time to be a pre-order review, since according to the GW site these are now available. I don't know why I put these off anymore, since the hubbub over Dark Eldar releases is pretty nonexistant now, so I don't have to worry about competing on this headline.
Are bloggers sick of hearing about Eldar yet? I'm hoping not, otherwise this post will bring me no traffic at all. I hope GW knows what it is doing with all these releases. I suppose they are more vulnerable financially in this matter than I, so I guess we will see.

In any event, the Lhamean (borrowing it's name from the female vampires, I presume) is a courtesan to Dark Eldar Archons which are a type of poisoner. Not the kind of person I would want around me for my meals, but I guess they are more fun to look at than an haemonculous.

To my mind, this release  typifies the last few batches of DE, particularly those of the finecast persuasion, in that it is a stunning sculpt of a very boring pose. I know I use the example of Da Vinci's 'Anatomy of Dark Eldar' too much, but then, I am not the one choosing the poses for these. I think this has the makings of a legendary model, if only someone had bothered to pose her before she hit casting.

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

8 comments:

eriochrome said...

Only about 10 more waves than Nids got even though they have plenty of characters who could have been finecast if they did not want to invest in the sprues to make tervigons or tyrannofexes.

CounterFett said...

Seriously. I guess they are banking on the social awkwardness of gamers, who will like to look at space elf girlies.

Atreides said...

i really like poses like this. i think it works especially well for a model like this who is supposed to be full of evil dignity and aloofness.

also, i am not remotely socially awkward, and i am not ashamed to admit i like to look at space elf girlies ;)

all in all, i think it is admirable they GW are committed to producing the entire Dark Eldar range (yes yes, Tyranids, i know :P)

eriochrome said...

I am sure it is all based on sales and there was a fair amount of demand for the dark eldar due to how outdated the existing models were. So people had to update their whole army as opposed to just add a few models in the nids case (Trygons and Hive Guard) with rebuilding you fexes as tervigons.

CounterFett said...

@ Atriedes: You'll notice I never said I didn't. I like Sisters, and they aren't nearly as sleek as the new DE ladies.

@eriochrome: You must be right. They do seem to be putting these waves out like they are being prodded in the butt by Satan's own pitchfork. They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't making money with them. There are nore DE players than anytime I can remember, but how many more?

General Oadius said...

I love this model and I think it's conversion potential is sufficient for a release. For example you could buy these and use them for your Hekatrix's with power weapon, throw on a phantasm grenade launcher for WYSIWYG purposes and you are set to go.

General Oadius said...

There are a lot of DE players in the Tournament scene in CA and Nevada. They(Dark Eldar) are in the top 3 armies, DE, GK, BA, imho.

GMort. said...

We have a lot of Dark Eldar players locally, but a lot of people who buy models just to paint them seem to purchase stuff from the DE range because they're usually quite interesting and detailed models.