Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Book Review: Hammers Slammers Volume Two

Hi all, it's been a good long while since we have one a book review here, and since I just finished Volume Two of the Complete Hammers Slammers Collection, I figured this would be as good an opportunity as any to get back into the habit.

I did read volume one some time back, and I'm not sure if I reviewed it. I remember not liking it very much. This was for a couple of reasons, primarily being that I had no idea what was going on or the background of the series, and that almost the whole collection was comprised of short stories. Another big part of the problem was that not only were they short stories, they were short stories with all different characters.

While Vol. 2 continued Drake's preference to not have characters make repeat appearances, at least 4 of the 5 stories were near novel length, meaning you still had a bit of time with each character set before moving on to the next. Also, the slang, while still a bit thick in places, was more understandable, and the characters took pains to explain some of it to 'outsiders' in the story, which made the stories easier to engage with.

Of the five, I liked four. Unfortunately, the one I disliked was one of the novel length pieces. It was artfully done, I just didn't care much for the story. Nothing wrong with that, really, and it appears quite intentionally done.

All in all, definitely a worthwhile read, and a good value if you pick up the collections. I had never read these before, they were a bit before my time, and there is not anything else quite like them out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always liked Hammer's Slammers. Check out the John's Toy Soldiers blog, he co-wrote the official HS game.