Saturday, October 1, 2011

Boredom Project Part II: Revised Heraldry

Ok, so after looking into the rules of heraldry a tiny bit, I discovered something important, my coat of arms from the other day is totally not legal. For one thing, in Blazon, the jargon used for describing a heraldic device, there is no term for a lancer assault rifle. Second, you are not allowed to put words actually on the shield. Third, I use several colors that do not exist in legal heraldry. Fourth, my shield shape was way outside the usable parameters. So after a little research, I revised it.
In blazon, it goes something like this: Vert, two spears sable in saltire, surmounted by a death's head proper. Something like that anyway. I get a bit mixed up in the orders, like if I 'm supposed to say the color or position of the spears first. Aa I said, it's a work in progress. I was thinking of using muskets, since that is more like the lancers I used originally, but I don't know if I can specify that they have bayonets charged. And a spear could be considered a type of lance. Hmmm, a lance...

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

1 comment:

paws4thot said...

When heraldry was first invented, there were no such things as muskets either. A musket (or rifle) is now a legal device. As such, a bolt-gun or whatever would probably become a legal device by ~40_000AD.

As for the text, since your field is vert, and the motto looks like sable, add a blazon argent across the top and your original design would be legal!