Friday, October 28, 2011

Counterfett's Top 30 Sci Fi Tanks! Tanksgiving

Good afternoon ladies, gentlemen, and other fine folks of the internet! It's something I have been talking about for a bit here, ever since the hugely successful Power Armor Countdown back in April, and I finally feel recovered enough to take the project on.

So, for the month of November, we are going to be running through the top 30 science fiction tanks of all time, according to moi. While I value my own opinion very highly, I would like some input from you splendid people who actually read my stuff. What tanks should I include? How specific should I be about what is a tank model and what is a variant (i.e. is a Land Raider Crusader a Land Raider, or is it a different model)?

I know there is a VAST amount of excellent tanks out there that fit my subject topic, but I honestly want to know what other opinions are for what should be in the top 30.

So come on people, let me know!

8 comments:

Mike Howell said...

IMHO, a Land Raider is a Land Raider is a Land Raider.

Don't know if you have them in the list, but I love the Appleseed Mobile Fortress. Are giant spider-like robot tanks still tanks?

CounterFett said...

I have not made the list yet, so they're on it now!

I'm mostly going to stick with treaded tanks, and maybe some hover tanks (be hard to not include Hammers Slammers!), but some walkers might sneak in. Big, cumbersome ones that don't qualify as Mecha, I think.

What did you have in mind?

GMort. said...

I'm a big ran of the APC from the Aliens movie but I'm not sure if you'd call it a 'tank'. If you do then it get's my vote ;-) It has a turret if that's any consolation, lol.

Anonymous said...

The Sturmgesch├╝tz III (StuG III) assault gun.

- Brilliant single purpose design.
- Cheap
- One of the best overall designs ever.

Anonymous said...

Any of the tanks from John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata, but two stand out: First, the Tiger III, a tank designed to shoot down spacecraft in low orbit with its railgun, with a crew of perpetually drunken German mad scientists and an alien. Then we have the SheVa tank, a 100-ft tall monstrosity that requires a construction crane to raise and lower its main gun, which shoots ICBMs with 10-kiloton antimatter warheads. It comes equipped with M1 Abrams tanks for the crew to use as escape pods. A special shout-out goes to the SheVa "Bun-Bun," whose crew is based off the characters from Sluggy Freelance, and which has jury-rigged Metalstorm turrets all over it.

Fuzzbuket said...

best tanks ever?

tachikoms or the giant one in the original (ghost in the shell)
marchius vanquisher (40k forgeworld)
and the(original) fatboy from supreme commander,
oh and the spirit of motherwill from armoured core for answer. (or any of the arms forts for that matter)


but hey its your list so you dont have to listen to me :L


-fuzz

sonsoftaurus said...

Bolo

paws4thot said...

I agree with Anon about the SheVa (although I did read about BunBun and think "Ogre", so can I have that as a second vote?).

Also, as a generalisation, can I suggest that post-WW1, the main functions of a tank were as a mobile pillbox and fighting other tanks, rather than carrying infantry. The main common feature (a few Christie suspension designs that could be converted to wheeled running aside) is that they're all tracked.

That said, I'm fine with the idea of "future hover/grav tanks".

"walkers wise", I think you can guess that I'm going to suggest a minimum of 4 legs!