Sunday, October 9, 2011

On The Painting Table: Battletech

Okay, so I went into my garage with the intention of painting another squad of my Dust Tactics Recon Boys Counts As Mantis Warriors Scouts , but got sidetracked by the presence of assembled and primed mecha from aeons ago. The enfield on the right is really just an experiment, I wanted to see how that metallic purple would come out. I'm not happy with it, if you were wondering. The Olive Tessen in the back row came out better, which makes me happy, since it was my favorite ComGuard mech of all time. The gold Blood Asp and Coyote came out very well. I am embarrassed to admit that this was my wife's idea, but I am looking forward to seeing how they come out after a wash and drybrush.

The most interesting part of this process, to me, was realizing how far paint bonding has come even in the couple of years since I assembled and painted these. I have gotten spoiled by modern self bonding basecoat spraypaints. This old primer SUCKED! It was very coarse, gritty, and made painting even with the relatively smooth enamels I prefer a bit difficult. I think I will strip the other minis I have left from this series and re-basecoat them before attempting any more.

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

No comments: