Sunday, October 9, 2011

On The Painting Table...Now: Dust Tactics Recon Boys Counts As Mantis Scouts

Ok, so I hunkered myself back down, and went back in and painted a second squad of Dust Tactics Recon Boys. This is officially my furthest completed army yet. I now have two discrete units that can be used separately, and in the same paint scheme!
Be nice, the paint is still wet in this pics. I worked out this scheme to count as my Mantis Warriors Scouts some months back, and painted up the first batch, but never quite dropped the hammer on the second. Now that I am supposed to be practicing fine motor skills as part of my physical therapy, I figured no time like the present.

I was planning on taking a picture for each step of the process to make myself a 'how to' guide for when I come back to do more later, but plumb forgot to do so. I think I remember pretty well anyhow, but here's the scoop; Testor's Metallic Dk. Green for the armor plates, Dk. Tan for the boots and spade handles, Flat Black for the weapons, and Lt. Cream for the faces.

I do want to come up with some way to differentiate the Sergeant, like perhaps some gold pips on his helmet. He stands out well as is, but there ought to be some insignia in wargames (even if such a thing just makes you a sniper target in real life).

I am planning on doing a real thin black wash and a little bit of drybrushing to these guys, since I was not really happy with the way the ink worked on the last batch. Other than that, these guys are about wrapped up.

For the base, I think I am just going to drybrush it in aluminum, since the idea behind this army was that these guys are a determined assault on a ship orbiting Tranquility, and they have a very nice non-skid deck plate motif going on their bases. We'll see how that works out soon.

Note: This is a guest post by KE554, since Counterfett is currently out of commission with nerve damage. Stay tuned folks.

2 comments:

paws4thot said...

I don't like ink as a detail tool on fabric; better by far to paint wash and dry brush.

Where ink works is on weapons and armour, like, say, the missile ports on the battlemech's shoulders iin the last post.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, that's about what I decided too. It was worth it to experiment with inks, but it's just not for me. I have been doing my wash and drybrush method on this scale for years and years, and I sort of know what I'm doing, if I put in the time.