Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Thoughts On Naming A Tiny Cute Robot

So my son decided he did not want this little wind up toy robot the other day. He told me he was going to give it to his sister. His sister was NOT interested in taking care of one of his unwanted toys, so I traded him something for it. So, for the cost of some GI Joe weapons and three M&Ms, I became the proud owner of a charming, retro style wind up toy robot. I like that his little arms are click-adjustable. He's more than a toy, he's an action figure!

So here's the thing. Since this little guy has become a desktop denizen, he needs a name. There are a few naming conventions that exist for this type of toy.
  • A cute acronym or abbreviation, like Qwerty or HaBot.
  • Anthropomorphic name, like Chip. 
  • A Technical name, like Desktop Patrol and Surveillance Droid. This should also suggest an acronym or abbreviation, i.e. DesPaSuD
  • Something ironically threatening, like Mechanicore or Destructobot
I might make a poll if I get some good suggestions to decide between.

5 comments:

Donogh said...

Well I think his name is Orson
[which could be "Omni Remote Sentinel-OrdNance"]

Mike Howell said...

He immediately reminded me of Vincent from "The Black Hole." I like names that don't have a lot of relevance to function or acronym (backward acronym relevance is ok.) I loved the names of Huey and Dewey (and I suppose Louie) from "Silent Running." (Hippie 70's scifi ft...w?)

So... I've got nothing! I dunno. Orson's pretty good.

jboypacman said...

Am with Mike about being reminded of the robots from the Black Hole. Bob and Vincent so maybe something along those lines like R.O.D.(Robot On Desk)lol.

AbusePuppy said...

SquatBot 9000.

"What's the difference between that and and SquatBot 5000?"
"Oh, about three thousand or so, ha ha!"

whitestar333 said...

I AM THE QUANTUM ANNIHLATOR - DESTROYER OF SMALL WORLDS