Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Top 30 Sci-Fi Tanks! Number 1!!!!!

Wow, guys, it's hard to believe it's really here, isn't it? I mean, I knew it was coming, I had the list all worked out well ahead of time, and I have been scheduling posts like a madman, weeks at a time. And here we are. #1. Numero Uno. La Premiere. The Ultimate! I guess most of you who have read this from the beginning already know what's coming, but anyway, let me have my little moment of suspense!

#1: OGRE


Original Concept from the hand of the designer - Steve Jackson
I'm not sure of the etymology or if it's supposed to be an acronym, but all capitals sure feels appropriate for a tank like the OGRE. This idea behind the OGRE was actually subsequent and (sort of) derivative of the BOLO, but due to the art and execution of the game, the tanks themselves come across as sleeker, deadlier, cooler.
The first Mark V. From the Original Cover by Winchell Chung
Despite various 'marks' and incarnations, the monster tanks, controlled by cybernetic brains and protected by meters think armor, cannot even truly be destroyed, they can only be stopped by literally shooting every moving part off of the hull. Even the tread units need to be ground off, lest the behemoth simply crush its target under it's own bulk.
Mark V Record Sheet by Original Artist Winchell Chung
Surprisingly fast, clad in nearly impenetrable protection, and armed with an array of guns so deadly they are a match for entire formations of conventional tanks and infantry, the OGRE cybertanks dominate their fictional setting.
A battered Mark V defies defenders and crushes the target Command Post under its treads. You can never really stop an OGRE...
The cyber brains themselves, which would eventually become sentient, later went on to become de facto rulers in their own right, for who really wants to argue with an OGRE?

6 comments:

The Dark Templar said...

Great series, thanks for sharing!

I learned about a host of new tanks I never knew existed!

CounterFett said...

That's the best part! With the exception of (I think) the AT-AT and ATV from Aliens, which existed in film-mockup form, none of these really did exist! I love Sci-Fi.

Mordian7th said...

Very nice! As the series went on I was really hoping to see Ogre make it into the top ten. Used to play tons of Ogre and G.E.V. waaaaaay back in the day. Great series, it's been a lot of fun along the way!

Michael said...

I read the whole series and loved it. Thanks a lot.

Papa JJ said...

Way to go, CounterFett! This was a lot of fun, thanks! Hehe, I had a feeling the OGRE would take #1 in your list. I definitely enjoyed seeing all your choices and learning about a bunch that I'd never heard of before.

Mike Howell said...

That was many tons of fun! Thanks!

I learned about a number of new tanks and was also pleased to see the indomitable O.G.R.E. make the list. The unstoppable over-sized cardboard chit of my distant gaming past!