Friday, November 4, 2011

Top 30 Sci-Fi Tanks! Number 27!



I think we are beginning to break into a bit of a rhythm here with this program. Hope you all are enjoying this as much as I am. Strike that, I hope you are all enjoying this more than I am, since whenever a project of mine breaks into 3+ posts, it starts feeling like work, no matter how much I loved the idea when I came up with it!

#27 The Century Tank / Tie Crawler / Tie Mauler
The Century Tank. If only I had a technical drawing of one!
This hails from the Star Wars Expanded Universe. The story goes that Sienar Fleet Systems, the manufacturer of everyone's favorite Twin Ion Engine fighter, decided to cater to all of the Galaxy's petty warlords and planitary militias by making a tank that was rugged, durable, and best of all, cheap as dirt!
Ah, that's better!
The best thing they could think of was to mount their obsurdly successful TIE cockpit to a tread unit, et voila! Battle Tank!
The TIE Mauler
A smaller, faster version was made to combat infantry and light armor, and was dubbed the TIE Mauler to reflect its more aggressive role.

2 comments:

Little Plastic Man said...

Damn I love this countdown!

Mike Howell said...

I'm enjoying the countdown too.

Can't say I've ever seen anything like this tank before. Very odd way to keep the TIE aesthetic going on a tank, especially when other Imperial vehicles tend to have angular designs.