Friday, December 2, 2011

Narcississtic Rage And The Scheduled Uploader

It seems ironic that I am typing this after putting the kids to bed right as I got home, and that no one will read it until morning, since my regularly scheduled posting slot has already been (long since) past, bringing boyishly joyous good news in the form of more Halo U articles.

Did I mention I just got home? At my kids bedtimes? Oh yeah, that. See, I left the house at 6:20 am. I work 27 miles away from my house. Since the speed limit is 65, it should take no more than 27 minutes to get there, right? Well, wrong. I live in California, and those 27 miles happen to be through some of the worst traffic in the state (ergo, pretty bad even on a planetary scale). So leaving at 6:20 will typically get me to the office a few minutes early for my 7:30 start time.

Not today, gentle reader. The freeway was shut down. I'm not going to get into the messy details, but I got stuck in a freeway shut down for the first time in my life this morning. I got to work at 8:50. So I had to stay an hour and twenty minutes late. Instead of leaving at 4, I left at 5:20. No big deal, right? Should be home by 6, right?

Not today, gentle reader. The freeway was shut down. I'm not going to get into the messy details, but I got stuck in a freeway shut down for the second time in my life this evening. I got home at 7:30. So, I have been away from home for a little over 13 hours, with just over four of that being in traffic. On the 27 miles of road between my house and the office.

I realize that my story is not nearly as tragic as those of the people who caused those shut downs, but right now, I just don't care. Maybe that's the narcissism talking.

3 comments:

Thor said...

Ug, that seriously blows. Life is a bit slower here in Maine and by that I don't mean the speed limits, I mean the lack of crazy freeways and in turn super long commutes.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

that is a bitch! i sometimes hate working until 9pm, but i miss all the traffic & i'm only four miles from the job- thank God!

Mik said...

Sounds like it's Miller time!