Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Most Random Toy Of 2012...So Far.

It's Absorbing Man!
Ready To Wreck Some Balls
I know my friends who are comic book enthusiasts will know all about this guy, but I had never heard of him. My primary interest in this guy is that I could tell from just looking at him in the packaging that he was going to be an absolutely fabulous action figure, and I was right!
The Milkshake which brings all of the boys to the yard is MINE!
I think if the 25th Anniversary version of Gung Ho had looked and been executed like this here Absorbing Man figure, that GI Joe fans would have been a much happier bunch. The sculpting is phenomenal, the paint is good (on everything but his arms), and the articulation is...perfect. Seriously! It all works and has good range of motion, is smooth, but firm enough to hold poses.

I just think it's funny that they now have two seriously awesome versions of Absorbing Man, who I have never heard of, but the Punisher figure in this scale looks like Frankenstien's Monster got his hands caught in a rice picking machine. Hell, I would be happy if they repainted this one!

The back of the card explains that Absorbing Man was turned into a supervillain on accident by Loki, and that he can take on the attributes of anything he touches. He came with a wrecking ball. So I guess this version is all set up to wreck some superhero balls.

The only downside to this figure is the very heavy wash shading applied to the arms. The treatment works well on the chest, but his arms look like he was wresting with Clayface. Careful selection may mitigate this, but all of the packaged examples I have seen exhibit the problem to a greater or lesser degree.

Absorbing man will likely be donating his body to a super secret figure project I am working on currently. I'd tell you what it was, but it's super secret.

4 comments:

jboypacman said...

Great looking figure! And am curious on your super secret project now too.

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

hey alright, bring on the custom! i liked this guy too- good sculpt, though it's true- Hasbro sometimes misses on the paint washes on these small figures... but hey, they're really small

DuendE said...

Great Blog!

Im following you!

You can follow me too !

http://malditoduendeminiatures.blogspot.com/

Mik said...

How funny, I was looking at this figure just tonight at the grocery store.