Thursday, February 9, 2012

Halo RPG, Or; I Got What I Wanted, So Now What?

Well, I have prevailed upon my semi regular RPG group to play a Halo campaign of an undecided game system. Since I wanted to play so badly, they have all decided that I get to GM. Swell.
I admit to being a terrible GM. I want this game to be successful enough that it can be a semi regular thing that runs long enough that someone else is willing to GM so I can actually play.
I am pretty sure I want to make the PCs members of the Spartan III program, which has the most room for variability between characters, and still lets the PCs be Spartans. That seems to be what everyone wants to play at this point anyway.
So, what game system should I use, and does anyone have some primo advice to help make this the best campaign ever? Right now I am leaning towards d20 modern (and the Future expansion, of course, since I actually have it), though I'm open to suggestion at this point. I had actually thought about using Deathwatch, since power armored Space Marines and Spartans have more than a little in common, but I don't feel like renaming every ability, and the feel would just be wrong otherwise.
One more pic of Jonah & Roland...just because.

1 comment:

DevianID said...

Hey, saw your link on Bell, and it seems like an interesting topic that I have thought about in the past.

Now, since I am familiar with d20 modern, and loved it when it came out, I'll agree that its not a bad choice.

The issue I always ran into with modern is that once you hit level 5+, the feel of the combat became bland... At that point, tough characters start shrugging off shotgun blasts to the chest.

So I found another game system that stole my attention called True20. The concept of True20 is simple, in that you only have 3 classes, which are pretty broad archtypes. They are Warrior, Adept, and Expert. The adept is the wizard-ish type that probably has no real place in a halo-themed campaign, though technology and magic do walk a fine line in terms of function, with the old 'any technology sufficiently advanced seems like magic...' and there is certainly enough forerunner bits floating around.

Anyway, one central theme is that you dont have hitpoints in true20. This change makes the games both more cinematic and more realistic--win win in my book. Each hit has a strength value assigned to it, and each character has a 'toughness' save that is improved with armor. Kinda sounds like 40k, right? Well, the nice thing is that how much you fail your toughness save indicates the kind of injury and damage you take. So if you fail by 10, which is pretty bad, your pretty much vitally wounded and out of the fight for a bit. With a simple random body part roll you can even easily describe how the damage hurt the character.

Anyway, because you are borrowing from a lot of the themes of Halo, and True20 doesn't push a setting on you, character creations emphasis becomes more like the player asserting 'This is my character' rather than the DnD trapping of turning to the classes to find out 'What can my character do?'