Thursday, February 23, 2012

My First Wargame...Battle Beasts

I make no secret of the fact that I collect toys, and most of the
followers to my blog are wargamers of one description or another. When
I look back at the history of both of my hobbies, however, collecting
and gaming, there is one common point: Battle Beasts.
These were a great toy put out in the mid '80s by Takara Tomy. They
could be had in two-packs, and had semi random heat press stickers. I
have been told those stickers were completely random, but I never did
see a squid or octopus with a fire sticker, so I never quite beleived
it.

Beasts were really only marketed as toys, but the kids in my
neighborhood (of which I and my brothers were pretty dominant members)
quickly put together a Pokemon-esque 'League' for competing with them.
It went like this:
  1. Pick a Roster of a set number of figures.
  2. Write down the 'Batting Order.'
  3. Go up against opponent's line-up, revealing each fig as you went.
The written down order was given to a third person, who judged the
event and made sure the opponents didn't switch their order for
favorable matchups. After a while, we got to know what sticker
everyone had on what figures, so the secrecy of the order was very
important. It was basically street Stratego with toys, but I remember
thinking it was very organized, and it WAS a very big deal.
 
Currently, Diamond Select, the maker of Mini Mates, holds the Battle
Beasts license. They are not doing much with it currently, though
there is expected to be a change on that front soon.

6 comments:

Tomsche said...

Ooooh, I remember those, must be what now, 25 odd years?

CounterFett said...

Yeah. About mid to late '80s is what I would guess. 25 years would be '87, which sounds about right.

jboypacman said...

I have a few of these in my collection and am always on the look out for more they are some of my favorites.

Action Ranger Timmy said...

Didn't they put up pics of six inch figures or something?

CounterFett said...

A.R.T.:

They did, but it was a long time ago and they never developed anything from it.

They also have released Mini-Mate style figs as con exclusives.

And then they have a countdown timer running to some announcement regarding the line which we hopefully will hear about in April.

eriochrome said...

Had some of those back in the day. Several of yours in the picture look pretty familiar.