Sunday, March 25, 2012

Games Workshop: A Rare Positive Experience.

So I went to the Games Workshop store in the Mall near where I work. I needed Badab Black wash for my upcoming Blood Dragon Shepard. They were, of course, out of it. Figures. The guy at the store (who was old and round and looked like an actual gamer and not some corporate shill for a change) did tell me about these new paints that are coming out, but are not out yet.

I got some Asurmen Blue instead, and some Gryphonne Sepia that I also needed (more on that in a bit). I was thinking of using the Blue wash on the silver armor in the way that some Grey Knights players do.

When I mentioned that, he pulled out a painting guide card for Grey Knights and let me take it. That's actually helpful! Holy crap! Someone in a GW store that knows what he's talking about and is trying to help without shaking me down? All of a sudden I believe in Mayan Calendar myths. Surely this is a sign of the end times.

Then I paid, and since my two tiny bottles of watered down paint came to almost $9, I figured we just might pull through after all.

What I took from this experience:
  1. The GW stores that are good, are good despite corporate guidance rather than because of it.
  2. GW should not have cut supply of its old paints until after the new paints came out.
  3. I still need Black Wash, in case the blue doesn't work well.
Thoughts?

3 comments:

paws4thot said...

Ok, I got nothing to add to the "Mass Effect" posts except that they might get me to do some model making after I get my new windows installed!

GW's washing inks used to be artists' inks at about twice the art store price, so if you have an art store near you... (what me, suggesting a cheaper alternative to GW, no never... ;-) )

jboypacman said...

Its always refreshing to know that there are still some folks that work in shops like that or others like Gamestop(video games)that actually know and love the product anymore because that has become such a rarity anymore.

CounterFett said...

@ Paws: Yeah, I've thought about that. In fact, that's where I got the last batch that these are slated to replace. Might do that, I have a Michael's in town that carries the inks. The problem with them is that the turnover for them in that product is so slow, that it tends to be difficult to find a bottle that isn't a clogged, coagulated mess. When you get them from GW, at least they are liquid, if overpriced.

@jboy: Yeah, I have kinda stopped going to these stores since they seem to try and shake me down every time I walk in, but my wife was getting clothes, and I needed washes. I didn't quite know what to do about someone who meets my definition of actually helpful.