Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Learning Infinity Part 1: Being a Noob

So, a great part about starting any game is the full on Noob effect. I
just printed the quick-start rules, and tonight I am going to read
them a bunch of times. This is always the hardest part for me, as I
have had trouble picking up new concepts for wargaming ever since
getting really into Warhammer 40k a few years ago. 40k has a way of
giving you blinders about objective reality.

Tomorrow night, I am going to play a small (3 figures per side) game
against myself. Friday night, I am going to try and explain the rules
to my daughter. They say you do not really understand something unless
you can explain it to a child. I at least have the advantage of having
a very smart daughter who plays other wargames.

She's gone Saturday, but hopefully by Sunday I can look forward to a 1
on 1 match with Bunny Fett. Don't scoff! She has a better win/loss
record than I do! Hopefully that will give me something fun (with
pics!) to post about Sunday night or Monday morning.

4 comments:

Gotthammer said...

Be aware that the official translation from the French is a little off in places too - there are some better done fan versions out there I believe.

CounterFett said...

I have noticed a bit of that. I speak French though, so I don't have much trouble with it.

Thanks for the new post, btw. I totally dig you ME minis. I was so excited when I found them. Makes me seem less original, but it's good to see the idea can work as well as yours did.

Loquacious said...

Kids- they are getting so dang good at gaming...

J said...

Spanish is the original language for these.

There is also an "unofficial" English version that has a few wording tweaks to reflect the rules in a more easily understood way for English speakers. It also has an index. It's readily available online, and you should be able to find it easily enough on their forums.