Monday, March 26, 2012

Mass Effect Miniatures: The Generic Bad Guys!

Mass Effect 3 is ostensibly the conclusion of Commander Shepard's fight against the Reapers, but it has a noticable plethora of levels where all you fight are anonymous Cerberus troops. As such, until I can come up with a decent idea for something to convert into Reaper forces (I have some ideas, more on this later), I need something to stand in as the boys in white. This is why I needed the Gryphonne Sepia that I mentioned yesterday so badly.
Cerberus Troops in Mass Effect 3 wear heavy white armor with yellow highlights, and carry powerful but bulky versions of the same classes of weapons as other forces (seriously, the Mattock, Hornet, and Talon are some of the chunkiest and heaviest in each weapon class).
They are fairly generic bad guys, and I am primarily going to use them as 'fall guys' to face off with my 'Good Guy' squad until I can finalize a Reaper force. So I figured I would use something to hand. I still have a bunch of EM4 Space Rangers that I was going to use for Space Crusade that are on sprue. These will make a fun fill in for the moment, and since it is essentially one pose, should be relatively easy to batch paint.

I think this time I am going to do something that I have seen other painters do, and try and do basecoating on the sprue. I've always wanted to try it, but on past projects it has seemed impractical, due either to quantity of models, or the angles of the sprues themselves (angles, hidden recesses, etc). These guys are molded flat and uniform. Perfect for this method really. I still need to decide if I  want to attach the backpacks or leave them off and greenstuff the hole in back. I suppose I could magnetize them, but that seems like a lot of work for generic fill ins. Let me know in the comments what you think!

No comments: