Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fantasy Flight Games Announces 'Only War'

Fantasy Flight Games seems set to continue its winning streak with 40k Roleplaying with a new installment. Entitled 'Only War' this version is bringing the Imperial Guard to the gaming table. It will be interesting to see how they do this, as the faceless, thankless, expendable members of the Imperial Guard don't seem to fit well with the typical heroic gestalt of your average Role Playing game.

That said, Dark Heresy was good, and Deathwatch was REALLY good, so I have faith this will work out as well.

7 comments:

Aleksi Lehtio said...

I just feel that the game won't capture the nature of the Imperial Guard. Squads will be a random mix of stormtroopers, techpriests, ministorum priests and maybe some actual guardsmen.

CounterFett said...

I think for it to work they almost will have to make it special forces like Kasrkin or Stormtroopers, otherwise, what role are you playing?

NPC: "ATTACK!"

PC: "YES SIR! FOR THE EMPEROR!"

Not much there...

Luke Licens said...

"Men of Tannith, do you want to live forever!"

CounterFett said...

You make a good point, Luke, you make a good point.

Mik said...

We've played a lot of the 40k RPG stuff, and this is very exciting news. Having read most of Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series I can't wait to see how this book treats the faceless horde of humanity's frontlines.

Dave Bone said...

This is quite exciting. It's really disappointing to see people's gut reactions to each of these games as they work really well. It's a good idea to make it a core game.

I think the idea is to have a ton of 40k minis FIRST and then get the RPG's, because lemme tell ya partner, they work really well together.

And I don't even use the given settings of Calixis, Jericho etc. My club kinda has it's own thing going on.

CounterFett said...

Yeah. I can kind of see both ends of this, because frankly, I don't know how they will put this off.

That said, they did a phenomenal job with the other releases (like I said, I'm especially biased in favor of Deathwatch), so I'll take it on faith it will be good. Even if I don't know how.