Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer: Make Your Own Ending!

I actually got everything online and running on Friday night, and I have been playing a lot of ME3 multiplayer. As expected, it's a lot of fun. In addition, it helps your Galactic Readiness score in single player, which makes it a bit easier to get a Decent(er) ending there.

I've not been shy about criticizing the ending of the single player campaign. I'm not one of those rabid fans trying to get them to re-do it or anything, I just felt let down after spending such good time on a terrific game only to have the ending be...anticlimactic.

Well, for me, that's where Co-op comes in. See, in the game, there are several missions which have the title 'N7' (for example N7: Cerberus Labs). These are missions to recover specific resources or intel given to Shepard by Hacket and N7 Special Forces Command. At the successful conclusion of these missions, Hackett tells Shepard how he is going to have teams follow up, do more strikes, fortify the position, etc.

And that's what you do in multi! On the maps you first fought with Shepard, you can  go through with your own characters, who are part of special N7 teams tasked with protecting resources, gathering intel, setting up strike targeting, eliminating high value personnel, and the list goes on and on!

My favorite part is that, being an RPG'er first and video gamer second, I can make the story behind these more anonymous characters be anything my heart desires. While this doesn't erase my distaste for the campaign ending, it does redeem it for me a bit. No matter the outcome of the Hammer and Sword attack, I can console myself with the thought that my multi-player characters are out there, putting the pieces back in place.

Now that I have spent way more time on the topic of why I like multi-player, the original point of this post was to celebrate that I completed Operation: Raptor, which was a special event that gives rewards for 'promoting' two multiplayer characters to be War Assets in the single player campaign. I guess a lot of people don't want to do that, since they spent time levelling them up. I didn't even know this was going on until after I had it all up and running, but good timing! It only took me like a day and a half to get two characters ready to promote, so it's not a huge time investment. But whatever. I hope the reward packs are good!

4 comments:

Mik said...

Having slept on ME3 as a whole I have decided that it just doesn't measure up. Not the ending, not the gameplay, not the story or dialog.

However...the multiplayer more than makes up for it. I've been playing that non-stop, and it's great. This weekend is a bonus weekend too, so promote those characters! I just promoted all but my favorite two last night to the galactic war effort.

CounterFett said...

I honestly loved the game as a whole, which is what kept me from being too miffed about the ending, but the ending ruffled my feathers the WRONG way.

But I feel the same way about the multiplayer. It really saves the title. And while some people hate the single player tie in, I like it. I don't like games where the multiplayer has nothing to do with the game's continuity (as much as I love Halo, they are very guilty of this).

Mik said...

Yeah, Halo's another story altogether. I buy 9insert Halo title here) knowing that I'll get a lot of good campaign play out of it...as well as some of the best multiplayer gaming to boot.

I like my online play sci-fi in nature so all of the Black Ops Modern Call of Warfare Battlefield stuff doesn't even register on my radar.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, I'm the same way. Plus, the speed and fragility in those games annoys me too. It's just not fun getting killed a dozen times per match for me.