Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sci-Rifle Countdown: Part 13!

Good morning all, Counterfett here with another friendly installment of the Sci-Rifle countdown. Today's installment sees (I think) the first of the reader recommendations to the list. The funny thing is that I was thinking of including this anyway, though I did not know it. See, it's a TV show prop rifle that also later was used in the live action cutscenes of one of my favorite video games.




#13: M590/M-16 Mk. 2 Pulse Rifle.
This was suggested by a reader as the rifle from the terrific Science Fiction TV show Space: Above and Beyond. The show was centered on a squadron of USMC fighter pilots/ special ops types who were involved in a war against an alien race called the Chigs. The prop rifle was built an a Ruger Mini-14 inside of a housing, as so many prop rifles are these days.

The reason this would have been included anyway is that it is also the GDI M-16 mk2 Pulse Rifle from Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, a title in one of my all time favorite video game series.

Oh, and just from amusement, here's a Chig:
Sort of looks like a Collector, no?

2 comments:

FirBholg said...

I wasn't aware of the video game link! I've always been a fan of the series, I suspect because it was one if the first things (along with Aliens) that I'd seen try to treat military scifi in a vaguely realistic way. I hadn't even thought about the series for years, until you mentioned the scifi rifles countdown (I've just found out that it's available on DVD too!). Pity how the series ended, but in that regard I suppose it was better to go out in a blaze of glory!

Also you're right, the Chigs do look a bit like the Collectors... Now I have the urge to punch a Chig (I'm a vanguard player - does it show? ;) ).

CounterFett said...

I guess that it explains my urge to run for cover and incinerate.