Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sci-Rifle Countdown: Part 16!

Hey all folks! Remember what I said yesterday about having these on the scheduler so that I could stop using my breaks? Well, I still totally mean it. Starting tomorrow. Have to figure out how to commute, do my job, love my wife and kids, and still fit in the important stuff like blogging and Mass Effect. In any event, on with the show!


 
#16: C-14 Impaler Gauss Rifle

The C-14 as it appeared in Starcraft
Hailing from StarCraft & StarCraft II, the C-14 Impaler is a gauss rifle which is the standard infantry longarm of the Confederacy of man, the subsequent Terran Dominion, and (strangely) every other human military force, including the UED. The arm itself uses magnets to propel solid core metal darts at incredible velocities. This grants them tremendous armor penetrating power, and even makes them moderately effective against light vehicles or aircraft.
C-14 in StarCraft II Toy Form
In the fiction, this unfortunately means they zip right through Zerg, the main antagonist of everything in the Koprulu sector. Overpenetration with transferal of kinetic energy is a major problem of armor piercing round in the real world, and in science fiction too, it seems.

2 comments:

Mike Howell said...

My original two Starcraft marines toys (blue and red "war pig") have the longer looking version. I wonder if the second one is the SC2 interpretation.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, that's from SC2. I believe the change actually happened in the aborted Starcraft: Ghost game that never got released.