Monday, May 28, 2012

Sci-Rifle Countdown: Part 4

Well, folks, the homes stretch is starting to seem like not such a stretch any more, what with three posts after this one left, and the order pretty much sorted out in my head. Astonishingly, all of the remaining entries are things that were recommended to me, and only one is something that was in my original list. More amazing still, I actually am at least passing familiar with the sources for each.




#4: Westinghouse M95A1 Phased Plasma Rifle

The Terminator movies were great for a lot of reasons. Heavy sci-horror, Arnold's best work, Michael Beihn's best work (admittedly, less of a task than Arnold's), killer robots, and Phased Plasma Rifles.

Who knows what a phased plasma rifle is. I would hazard a guess that it launches projectiles of phased plasma, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, Westinghouse apparently made a bunch of them for Skynet. It's a bit ironic, it is, that Westinghouse's most famous weapon is fictional, and supplied to the bad guys. Whatever, it's their 15 minutes and all.

Nevertheless, who can forget that great shot of the T-800 striding towards the Tech-Com survivors, blazing away one handed with his 'laser' rifle? Good stuff.

3 comments:

Mik said...

I love these rifles. I had a large (12" or so) T800 figure a while back that came with a scaled version of one of these. It was clear plastic, but it made 'budda budda' noises at the push of a button. Very cool.

Mike Howell said...

Is that one in the 40W range? 40W doesn't seem very lethal, but hey maybe they're future SUPER watts. Also, I suppose if battery technology had advanced you could power that thing with a couple of FUTURE D-cells.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, that's why I was being so snarky about the pseudo science in the rifle's name.

Remember, it's 40 watts of PHASED PLASMA! I'm not even sure how that would work.