Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Painting with Paint™: Stuff I Stole From Gotthammer*

*Actually posted with his permission, but you have to admit it's a fun title.

Ok, so you all know how inspiration can strike in funny ways right? Well, a while back, I was watching a music video our friend Gotthammer from Collegia Titanica had put together with footage he had taken of his playthrough of the Mass Effect series. I saw one particular segment that caught my eye, what I thought was one of the most poignant short pieces of video I could think of, and I decided that I wanted to try and paint it...or something.


And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how this whole thing started.


Here it is. I think my technique has come a pretty long way from this one, but it's still my favorite. I think subject matter helps. This is from a screen capture from Shepard & Liara: Nothing Compares, which is maybe the best music video using a cover track about dating a blue girl ever.


I call this one 'Slow Shuttle to Sanctuary.' Not sure why I like this one so much. Just sort of tickled by Shepard's weary, deliberate posture waiting to disembark. This one is taken from Mass Effect 3: Shepard's Way. I think I have done a few from this video, but this one sticks in my head as being my favorite from it.


This is actually from the 'Take Earth Back' trailer, but I got the idea of doing it, as well as the capture, from watching GH's Mass Effect 3: Reignite by Malukah video. This was one of my earlier pieces as can be seen, but again, I sort of like it. It's...brutal.

Ok. Remember that this stuff can also be found in the PWP section at the top, I usually remember to update it a few days after it initially appears here.

2 comments:

Gotthammer said...

which is maybe the best music video using a cover track about dating a blue girl ever.

LOL :D

I never realised I was the original inspiration behind this - you flatter me greatly!

Have you considered doing a tutorial or how to on this? I really like the style - a sort of abstract / pixel art blend.

Loquacious said...

Your work is beautiful and evocative. I really like it!