Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sci-D'Arm Countdown #20


Hey all folks, posting this a little bit later in the morning. There is a ME 3 event going on this weekend, and I wanted to make sure I was doing my bit! Also, I'm lazy. Anyway, today's installment sees us returning to the heady world of cheesy pulp movies for a collossal piece used to slay creatures of evil.



#20 Samaritan



I actually saw Hellboy II before Hellboy, and never read the comic, which certainly makes me some sort of Philistine, but nevertheless, I always dug the Samaritan. Big breaktop revolvers tickle my love of Victorian, Age of Adventure, steam driven fun. And the Samaritan is the biggest of them all. It's a four shot top fed revolver of about 20mm caliber, with bullets made from iron taken from Irish church bells. I have no idea why it's important that the bells are Irish, but there you have it.

In all honesty, the Samaritan is implausibly huge, as the inherent weakness of a top break would be insufficient to the task of withstanding the pressure of such powerful rounds. But then again, we are talking about a series which also features elves, demons, space squid, Nazi zombies, and Rasputin. I guess I don't need to dig for implausible.

3 comments:

Gotthammer said...

Never read Hellboy and only seen the first movie, but big-ass breaktops just look badass.

Even if they don't work.


Loving the countdown so far, and a few new ones for me so far :)

Mik said...

On the opposite end of the spectrum I have been a fan of the comics since issue #1 as well as the novels and the like. The Samartian is absolute mondo-cool. Don't forget it was a gift from the golden age superhero guy (whose name escapes me). The Torch? Liberty Man? Something like that...

CounterFett said...

Ah, Mik, see I didn't know that. I don't think they mention the Superhero guy in the movie, that makes it even cooler though.