Monday, August 27, 2012

Sci-D'Arms Countdown #5


That's right folks, this evening sees the countdown break into the top five! This countdown has been a weird one for me due to how many days I have had to miss and make up due to illness and/or injury. Nevertheless, we have kept on trucking and are on schedule to finish on time, on target.



#5 The Phaser.


I'm not a big trekkie. I haven't seen all of the episodes, I have not seen all of the movies. Heck, I'm pretty sure I have not even seen one episode of each of the series in this franchise. However, there is lots to love about Star Trek. The 'Blue Girl' trope that I am so fond of had its roots here. Just think, if Kirk weren't such a man-whore, we might not have such fan favorites as Cortana or Liara.

Also, the phaser. This was a big influence on Science Fiction weaponry. "Phasers to stun" has even become a common enough saying that people who never have seen a moment of the hallmark show know just what you mean by it. I'm not sure of the pseudo science behind why they were called Phasers and not Lasers, but they sure seemed like they shot beams of coherent light, and that was enough for me.

1 comment:

MIK said...

One of the pillars of sci-fi sidearms, nice pick!