Wednesday, September 26, 2012

40k In Sixth: Am I An Old Dog?

I love reusing my own stuff. Makes me feel efficient and super lazy, all at the same time.
Ok, so it's well and truly been out for a while. And I have not even looked into the new edition. This is a little bit due to the fact that I have not done a ton of any gaming, but if I was really interested, I would have found a way.

So what's going on here? Have a become too old to learn new tricks? Something similar happened when they brought out D&D Fourth Edition, so long ago. Is this the same thing? I don't think it is. With Dungeons & Dragons, there were a couple of reasons I never made the jump.
  1. I was a huge d20 fan (I still am, for that matter).
  2. Plenty of people kept playing d20 derived games, so it never really disappeared the way 40k 5th has already.
  3. I was unhappy with the changes made in 3.5 & 4th Editions.
Neither of these reasons really apply to 40k. I liked 5th okay, but I was never attached to it, nor was it as revolutionary, in my mind, as 3rd edition D&D and the loads of cool d20 Open Gaming License material it spawned. No one still plays 5th, as far as I know. Again, as far as I know, there is nothing I really object to in 6th edition.

So what's the deal? Can I just no longer learn new tricks, or do I just not want to spring for the new stuff financially? That last seems most plausible, considering it's me, but it's never really stopped me before. I remain unsure at this time.

2 comments:

WQRobb said...

While not knowing you too well, I can take a stab at some possible reasons.
1. the cost. The book has increased in cost substantially.
2. limited change. For the cost of the new book, you're getting mostly the same rules as before. For all the "this changes everything!" hollering that goes on among the GW fan community, from the outside the game's mechanics are virtually identical.
3. Waiting for the FAQ. GW's quality control is notorious, and you could be waiting for a revised edition that eliminates all the mistakes they made in the rulebook.
4. the cost. The new Chaos Space Marine Codex is a $50 hardcover, not a $25 softcover like the previous one. My son wants to play 40K, but knows I am not willing to drop $600 on what could be a passing fad for him. This has quelled most of his interest in the game.

CounterFett said...

I like that three of your four reasons fall back to me being cheap. I think you might have hit the nail on the head :)