Monday, December 24, 2012

12 Days Of Killer Robots - Day 11





Good morning all. Ever have one of those moments in blogging when you feel slightly ridiculous about your hobby? Well, here I am, the morning of Christmas Eve, typing about fictional robots. I'm sure the feeling will pass. Anyway, we're down to the last two here. This countdown has really zoomed by, so I'm thinking that in the future, I am going to have to find a clever reason to do shorter numbered countdowns. It's been nice.


#2: Reapers

We...are the end of everything.
Ah, yes...Reapers. A race of sentient robotic space ships in the shape of giant cuttlefish from beyond the edge of known space which return every 50,000 years to harvest advanced species. Video game villain, Cthulu reference, and another reason for me to hate cuttlefish, all rolled into one.

Assuming Direct Control
Mass Effect 3 was a terrific game, but one area where it fell short was that it 'demystified' the Reapers. In Mass Effect, Sovereign's monologue was terrifying. In Mass Effect 2, who can forget the creepy atmosphere of the husk haunted derelict Reaper, punctuated by video logs of the research crew that went insane after coming in contact with the 'dead god.' Man, that kind of writing is the stuff nightmares are made of.

2 comments:

Mike Howell said...

So many blogs talk positively about Mass Effect... maybe I should pick up a copy. I'll probably never play it, but at least it be there to taunt me.

CounterFett said...

Since the Mass Effect Trilogy is out, and has all three games for one game price, it might be a good time to try it out.

If it was just me, I wouldn't trust the endorsement too much, but Gotthammer can't be wrong, right?