Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cthulhu Gaming: Roll For Sanity Check!


Hey all, Counterfett here again. Getting all interested in the Dead Space 3 release made me go back through Dead Space 2. And, as usually happens when I get all into a video game, I started thinking how I would portray such a thing in an RPG. There are a couple of ways I have seen horror type games run. One school of thought is the D&D Ravenloft style. The other is Chaosiums 'Call of Cthulhu' Sanity driven style. A third, perhaps hybrid style is the d20 Cthulhu, or even the d20 Future space horror setting from that d20 Modern supplement.


Each style has its merits. I think this might be a fun way of portraying the typical human character response to the necromorphs as portrayed in the Dead Space series. Humans of strong will are able to resist, to greater or lesser success, the dementia and psychosis brought on by the signal from the markers. Some rise above (Clarke) while others descend to terrible, base depths (Teideman, Stross). Most, however, become thralls of the power, transforming into undead alien horrors.

Who out there has played a game system which has a mechanic like this. What did you think of it?

1 comment:

WQRobb said...

I actually think horror as an RPG genre is difficult on so many levels. Rather than look at a particular game engine, I'd suggest digging up a copy of "Nightmares of Mine"

http://www.amazon.com/Nightmares-Mine-Rolemaster-Standard-System/dp/1558063676

of the GURPS Horror 4th Ed. supplement for suggestions on how to create the horror atmosphere in any RPG genre.