Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kickstarter.

Why does everything need a kickstarter these days?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some luddite. I work at a telecommunications company. I get what it does and why it's good for small (and even big) companies looking to get ventures off of the ground. I can even admit that it is uniquely well suited to miniature games, the investors of which are what might charitably be called...fickle.

It just seems like every new thing I see these days is not being sold, it's some exclusive reward for the gladiator level bid on some kickstarter goal that I am otherwise completely uninterested in.

I don't know what got into me on this one. I was looking at a news site, and every mentioned release for something like two or three pages was a kickstarter thing. Do no companies other than Games Workshop have new releases outside of this? I'm exaggerating a little here, but only a little.

Once more, with feeling, I don't think it's bad, I just think it's getting out of hand.

2 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm not a big fan of all these kickstarters. But it seems to be working for some folks. What I don't like is when products aren't getting done, and lots of money is being given.

Just seems a bit off, to me.

Mike Howell said...

I assume that like eBay, kickstarter (preBay) will apex and then reach a comfortable level. Yes, I find myself a bit vexed by all the exclusives that I miss by not buying in at the Gladiator level. I really have no intention of buying Zombicide in the near future, but some of those kickstart exclusive figs were pretty cool.

Let's face it... it plays on our deepest weaknesses as tabletop gamers. Resistance is maybe not futile, but definitely difficult.