Hey all, Counterfett here with what is, by the numbers, my most popular semi regular feature. Well, despite seeing this wave coming a long ways off, I delayed posting about it until now. This one didn't even sneak up on me like many of these things do. I just had a serious case of the don't cares for the Dark Angels. Which is honestly pretty funny, because it's one of the few 40k armies I still have models painted for.
In any event...on with the show. I'm doing this in one fell swoop because I still really can't muster much excitement for this. I thought if they updated Dark Angels I would be more interested. Sorry, Dark Angels, it's not you...it's me.
- Land Speeder Vengeance/Darkshroud. Ok, I feel like I have given GW a lot of leeway when it comes to aerodynamics. But this thing is preposterous. Seriously, a guy in an elevated ring turret right in from of the pilot? The fact that the 10 pic links on the site all go to the same image is not helping me out, though that may be an internet glitch.
- Ravenwing Dark Talon/Nephilim Jetfighter. I actually do not have too much bad to say about this other than it might be the first thing I've ever seen depicted as an aircraft which has a larger vertical stabilizer than it has WINGS! See a vertical stabilizer, pretty much by definition, is a 'smaller airfoil perpendicular to the main (horizontal) wing.' The fuel mileage on these things must be terrible with all that drag. Though I wager they're quite...stable. Of course, you typically want a fighter to be as unstable as possible while remaining controllable for maneuverability purposes...wait, am I actually delving into real world fighter design principles here? I read too much. Suffice to say the fins and wings on this are bothersome. Other than that, not much to say.
- Deathwing Command Squad: How much are regular Terminators these days? Cheaper? These seem decent except for the fact that they're not much different than regular termies, but cost more.
- Ravenwing Command Squad. I'm not sure if these are even new. They're decent, basically they remind me of Polish Winged Hussars on motorcycles. Kinda spendy, but that's kind of a theme here.
- Belial. I don't remember if there's been an official Belial before, but I always pictured him being a bit more...fierce looking. It's a decent enough model, if you have a penchant to have a model of my accountant in churchy terminator armor. At $22.25. Seriously, what's with the $0.25?
- Asmodai. I don't have a ton to say about this one. I actually think this is the best thing in the wave. Though, that being said, if someone were making a steampunk version of the Marvel Universe, this would make a great Dr. Doom.
- Dark Angels Banner Bearer. Is this even new? If it is, it's the second best thing in the wave...which makes me a little sad. It's a Dark Angel in power armor with a chain sword and banner. Not much to do wrong here, though it is finecast, so your mileage may vary.