Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Continuing Adventures: Isaac's Seen Better Days

I've woken up feeling like this...
So I finally downloaded the Dead Space 3 Demo. There are three modes available to play in the Demo, the Single Player and Co-op Campaigns, and Weapon Construction. Honestly, I played around in weapon construction a lot. It's a ton of fun, and you can hit a button to make a wave of enemies swarm at you so you can test your new weapons against actual enemies. It's an improvement on the Mass Effect 3 weapon range feature, and means you aren't stuck with a bogus loadout for the whole distance between benches.

But I have started the campaign mode. Man, am I bad at Dead Space! I got so good at Mass Effect 3 that I thought my skills would port over, and after rewiring the muscle memory for the different controller layout, I'm sure it will, but...wow. In any event, the graphics are superb, the engine is smooth, and the new weapon building system is awesome. They added dodge-rolling for Isaac, something I predicted all the way back when ME3 came out. He's still slow compared to Shepard, but we are talking about an engineer in some serious metal plating.

I'm a big fan of almost all of the weapons built off of the 'military engine' component. Except for the shotgun, which is disappointing. Still, the spear launcher can be modded into a good 'rivet shotgun' which is fun, and means I can make a Masterkey style assault rifle with underslung shotty that is made of win. For my side arm, I like a smg/plasma cutter with the fire gel mod. I can't wait for this to come out.


No comments: