Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dungeon Squad, The Nine Qs, And Solo RPG-ing


Hey all, Counterfett here. I've had really bad luck with RPG groups lately, what with both of my planned upcoming games breaking up in the past few weeks. So, since the traditional/retro fantasy RPG I was going to be joining sort of fell through (amazingly through no fault of my own), I decided that I still needed some fantasy RPG to break up the Sci-Fest that has been my gaming recently. So rather than try and make a bunch of new friends, I have been working on more solo gaming. Between Bjorn and CAtS Noire , there really is a lot of sci-fi mayhem going on (dang it, I still forgot to post those!).

I figured I could go for something a bit different. While 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars and the D20 Modern system I have been running for those two games are anything but complex, I wanted something super simple, that emphasized role-playing and narrative more than combat and dice rolling.

Conveniently enough, while I was trying to find a way to download a pdf of Microlite20 (I don't have winzip on my home computer for whatever reason), I came across a game I had heard of but not tried called Dungeon Squad. It's simple enough that it's a vacation even from the complexities and record keeping of CAtS, which is to say it's very simple and light on rules. A character only has five or six stats, mostly determining which die (how skilled they are) is to be rolled for which types of circumstances.

In order to prevent this from becoming what most people think Solo-RPGs are (ie me writing a story), I decided to use the 9Qs from Solo Nexus as a sort of 'GM replacement.' This way, unexpected developments will happen, and nothing will transpire quite as I want it to.

I was afraid that my Carnage Amongst the Stars campaign would end up choking on this point, but since you can really just roll to generate most of what the GM does in that game, all it takes is a modicum of honesty in the in-game dice rolling, and you're good to go. A less formulaic RPG, something less focused on intense combat, I saw as being more of a problem, and is, in fact what the 9Qs were invented to address.

I've pretty much decided what I want to do, the remainder of the process involves printing up the few pages of rules I need, and getting some 'Rory's Story Cubes' to use from Random Story Generation. I'll keep you all updated on my progress. Expect to see some posts when I generate characters and play my first game. I am actually thinking of using the format from Solo Nexus when I post my gaming sessions, so three of the questions at a time.

Should be fun!

2 comments:

MIK said...

Highly recommend the Story Cubes, they're fantastic. Plus, they've got a great (and cheap) app you can get and use them anywhere.

I am now checking out Dungeon Squad too, very intrigued, thanks for the tip.

Don't let 3:16 peter off though, keep it going. And if you want your fill of gaming, uproot your family to the hollers of the Appalachian mountains. We'll give you game 'til the cows come home.

CounterFett said...

Glad to introduce you to something for a change! Seriously, I've stolen enough ideas off of you over the years that I figured I probablky heard about this from you.

3:16 is going to be coming back. It's a bit of work, and I have been pretty discouraged by the huge downturn in traffic I've noticed over the past week or so. I know it's just an artifact of how google counts hits and directs traffic, but it's a bummer nonetheless.