Friday, March 1, 2013

6th Edition: Has It Been Good For 40k?


Well, I still have not taken the plunge and bought into 6th Edition. I think I've talked about my reasons quite a bit in previous posts, but honestly, they can best be summed up as follows; Expense and lack of time. That said, I have noticed something curious since 6th came out. Hardly anyone is talking about it.

Sure, there are a number of dedicated sites out there that still publish great material for 40k, and don't get me wrong, they put out a lot of great material, even if I'm not into the game itself right now. The number of sites devoted exlusively to 40k, however, seems to have decreased, and even the 'dedicated' sites like Bell and The Back 40k have 'diluted' their content to include a good deal of material on other systems and miniature manufacturers.

In my opinion, this broadening of interests has been a very good thing for the hobby, in general. I have been exposed to techniques, rules systems, and gaming concepts I would not have explored in my previous focus in 5th edition. But has it been good for 40K? I'm not sure. Seems to me like the transition to 6th edition and increase of Codices in general has decreased demand for such products, even if squeezing more from the individual gamer cushions the blow to GW.

This opinion, however, is largely based on conjecture and perception, and I would be interested to hear other folks' take on the matter.

4 comments:

Porky said...

We don't know how far online activity reflects the wider hobby, but I think the settling quiet you describe is an ominous sign, mainly for GW. The love for 40K in the fanbase may just lie low for a bit, waiting for the day, and a better way, to manifest itself.

WQRobb said...

I think there are a couple of issues, and price is at the top of the list.

Bad PR in the form of cracking down on "IP infringers" using words like "space marine" doesn't help.

I think the addition of flyers didn't do anything but make 40K even more vehicle-centric, which I don't think is a great direction in which the game should drift.

Shifting from metal to resin to now plastic, while steadily increasing prices doesn't help.

What hasn't happened, though, is having some other game rush up and fill the void. I think Privateer Press took out their chunk of the market, but games like Infinity and Dust never seem to gain the traction they might need.

What GW is doing now is coasting on inertia, and they've been doing that for some time. They're counting on the fact that players have invested so much in the past they aren't willing to mothball their armies. They're counting on their presence in stores and gaming clubs to continue to dominate.

How long can that last?

Pascalnz said...

I'd have to say it is farr less vehicle centric than fifth. flyers are big news and also vehicles, but they are the only vehicles that are even close to reliable anymore.
Tonns of infantry are extremely viable and also usufull against flyers as they can control the board to stop flyers from having anywhere good to land.

I have played a ton of 6th including a couple of tourney's and I wouldn't dream of going back to bland old 5th edition. Lots of different ways to win the 6 different book missions, troops getting a buff through mysterious terrain and having having only a 1 in 6 chance to play kill points.

The guys that nagged on about , "go first get first blood play for a win" haven't played it much. they way people are building 6th lists now, it can be turn three before first blood happens, it's done it's job of having MSU and fragile transports have a real downside, unlike in 5th.

People still haven't had good time to get experience with 6th ed codices but i'm pretty sure they'll be ok.

Also 30k has seen some big interest, especially in places like New Zealand and australia as forgeworld costs abou tthe ssame as regular GW stuff over here:P

sonsoftaurus said...

The fact that there were some changes was good.

The changes to expanding the pre-game - fortifications, allies - was good.

Execution, not so good.

Lots of individual rules in-game - bad.

It's playable, it can be fun, but a lot of things can be stupid and potentially frustrating. With any game of this type, the fun will depend on who you play with and how closely your styles synch.