Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review: Choices Of One

Hey all, Counterfett here. The recent Star Wars Mania hereabouts has even extended to my reading material. Though to be fair, I finished this one a while back, before even sinking into The Old Republic.


Choices of One is a follow up to Zahn's earlier book Allegiance, which told of the adventures of five stormtrooper deserters who kept up the "Emperor's" good work even though they were outlaws. It was a big hit with me, since it was sort of like vigilantes and real world super heros meets western in space. Something new, yet with a comfortable, familiar Star Wars vibe. In this adventure, however, the self styled "Hand of Vengeance" is running short on funds, resources, and places to hide, and plans to make one big strike for justice before they go out in a blize of glory or retire to obscurity.

PROS:
  • Space Justice! The same 'judge - jury - executioner' feel I loved so much from the first book is back, and it's just as sweet as it ever was.
  • Gritty. Since a lot of the shine has worn off of the equipment and the money has been spent, the hand needs to be a little more resourceful and circumspect about how they operate. There is some interesting observation of how people work in this one.
  • Mara Jade. Yeah, I'll admit it. I do love me some Mara Jade.
CONS:
  • Zahn. I always list this here. I don't mind Zahn, but a lot of people really don't like his work. If you are one of this, this is a fairly representative example of his work, so you might not dig it the way I do.
  • Thrawn. While I admit to liking Zahn and Jade, I am starting to feel like Thrawn is a bit of a crutch. He's in this too, and acts as a bit of a Deus Ex Machina. You have been warned.
  • The usual suspects. Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, 3P0 & R2 are all here. Since this takes place between Episodes 4 & 5, the usual tiptoe shenanigans are in place to prevent them from doing anything that might affect the continuity. This isn't a problem for me as long as I know it's there, but again, be warned going in.
I liked it, and I had reasonably high expectations because I liked Allegiance. I see the possibility for a third installment, and I would rather like to see that. Read into that what you will.

No comments: