Thursday, May 30, 2013

Counterfett Does Manga: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project

Alternatively titled: What the heck have I gotten myself into?


I was in the book store the other day, and my recent Evangelion kick inspired me to look in the (rather impressive, actually) Manga section there. Saw they had some Eva tie-ins, na ddecided to pick one up and see if I liked it.

I got off to a rough start, as I immediately opened the wrong end of the book. See, what I think of as 'the front' is the back of a manga. My wife shook her head and flipped it over for me. Whats more, it took me a while to figure out how to read the pages, because they also work right to left. Well, figure it out might be a misnomer, since I figured it out pretty fast, but it took more than a few tries to get used to it. I still catch myself reading the frames in the wrong order and getting confused.

Anyway, the book I picked out was Volume 1 of  "The Shinji Ikari Raising Project." This takes place in the alternate world that Shinji sees in the last episode during instrumentality as someone (Was it Misato? I don't remember) tries to show him there are things worth living for. In said alternate world, Shinji's parents were both alive, Asuka was his pushy, girl-next-door-sorta-girlfriend, and Rei was, well, normal.

So, yup, pretty much all of the same characters are included, but in a world that's similar to the series but sort of flopped on its head. It's a pretty fun read, and rather lighthearted. It's good for stress relief, which is sort of what I need right now.

Now I'm busy trying to track down the other volumes, which is harder than it sounds, as there are 12 volumes which have been released in English. I hear the 13th has already come out in Japan, which is cool. Usually when I get into something like this, it's already out of print. Nice to be ahead of the curve for a change.

No comments: