Friday, May 24, 2013

Movie Review - Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance


Hey all, Counterfett here. I watched 2.22 and let me just say, it blew my mind! This is the flick that turned me from EVA fanboi to giggling fangirl. As such, this is going to be a tougher review for me to write than is usually the case. For one because I try to be impartial (which is usually fairly easy for me), but also to avoid dropping too much in the way of spoilers, since I try to avoid that. Most of what made 2.22 different and interesting was things that varied from the show, as opposed to what essentially a condensed retelling in 1.11.

Pros:
  • The Bermuda Love Triangle. In the series, there was a minor love triangle between Shinji - Asuka - Rei. Asuka, despite being fairly obnoxious and verbally abusive, resoundingly won this in the original, and with little real contest. In 2.22, the fight is ramped up a few major notches, and the outcome is not what you might think.
  • There's something about Mari. I'm not sure how other people feel about Mari, but I kind of dug the character. I just liked that she was chipper and moderately humorous. Plus, she swears a lot, and has Lisa Loeb glasses. I did feel like she stole a bit of Asuka's thunder, which is kind of a shame, since I like Asuka better here than I did in the original series.
  • Dem last ten minutes. I'm not going to lie. I feel like the last ten or fifteen minutes of 2.22 might be the defining moment in animation history. I'm not sure if I'll look back at this statement and feel vindicated, or just facepalm and shake my head as time passes, but any event that can make me like Shinji means the creators are Doing It Right. Yeah, capital letters, deal with it. Also, as opposed to the cluster that is the last two episodes of the series, I mostly understand what's going on here.
  • Rei. 'Nuff said. Tomsche warned me I was in for a surprise in 2.22. Rei goes from being 'one of' my favorite animated characters right up to the top.
Cons:

  • Ever Miss Those Conversations We Used To Have In The Elevators? Sorry for the gratuitous Mass Effect reference (cool points to anyone who got that without me telling, btw), but remember how I said that they eliminated the 'angst shots,' from the movies? Well, there's one or two here. And it's one of my favorites, the elevator ride. This one turns out just fine, but it's there, nonetheless, taunting me.
  • Moves And Countermoves. I still don't get the Seele vs. NERV thing. Is Gendo the good guy? Is Seele? Neither? Both? Will both of their plans destroy the world or turn everyone into goo, or does one side wish to preserve human individuality? Gendo is a tool, but at least it's easier to sympathize with a guy you can see rather than several who can only be seen as a black avatar reminiscent of the Monolith from 2001.
That's it for now, gang. Tune in next time for when we have a look at 3.33.

No comments: