Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Painting With Paint: Rei The EVA Pilot

"You won't die...I'll be protecting you."
Since I finally finished watching all of The Clone Wars, I was talking with a friend at work about what I should watch next. He asked me if I had ever watched Evangelion. I had heard of it, but never seen any of it. He said if I liked Robotech I'd probably like it. Soooooo, I'm a few episodes in and it's pretty good. I could do without the social awkwardness and the serious overtones of age inappropriate romances, but the robot fighting parts are pretty cool. I used the big angry brush, and also, I freehanded more of this than I usually do, because painting over cartoon cels feels more like tracing than video game captures for some reason. Also, I think there is an enlargeable for this. Clicking it saves a puppy!

Also, the pilots are amusing in their own ways. Shinji is always befuddled and doesn't like doing anything, and seems to have PTSD. Asuka is an egotistical megalomaniac. But Rei...well, Rei seems like a little bit of a sociopath. My kind of people. They are the only three pilots so far in the series where I am. Sadly, Rei is the least used of the three to this point, because she was injured for a good portion of it, and Unit 00, her EVA, is the prototype and has lots of problems and never seems to work quite right.

In the Episode "Rei II" she has kind of a cool moment with Shinji before they go to kill an Angel (which are all different, but most of them remind me of "Space Invaders") with a sniper rifle that uses all of Japan's power grid. Basically, he's trying to force an emotional moment with her, with the old 'this might be our last night on Earth' gambit. It just doesn't work on Rei. Comedically so.

So far into the series, Rei's primary plot purpose is to be a foil for Asuka's ego. It usually goes something like this:

Asuka: "But Misato, [task] is impossible. I'm not going to do it, and besides, it's all Shinji's fault!'
Misato: "Rei, take over, see if you can do it."
Rei: "Yes Captain" [Rei succeeds at task]
Asuka: "Grrr, out of the way Rei, no one's taking my moment from me!"

6 comments:

myincubliss said...

Never seen Evangelion? :O

Stick with it, it's one of the greatest series ever... (presumably you're watching the original series, rather than the remake that I can't bring myself to watch yet...)

CounterFett said...

Yeah, it's the original. I'm watching it dubbed, which I have been told I shouldn't do, but since I am watching it while I so other stuff, I sometimes can't be reading the screen.

I had to go back in and edit this post, since my opinions about some things changed as I got a little farther, but it's a great show so far.

paws4thot said...

In talking about "age inappropriate romances" you're actually judging a Japanese show by US legal standards. that aside I pretty much agree.

CounterFett said...

That's true. I had actually considered that. Honestly, the reason the legal standard exists though is because that is, largely, the cultural norm here (darn, I forgot how to do accent aigu on this computer!). That's why I mention it, because that does throw a good number of folks.

And to be fair, not much comes of it anyway, so no real worries.

myincubliss said...

I don't mind the dub, it's pretty good...

If you fancy something else, try Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 7 episodes are available thus far, and it seems to be playing out like Evangelion meets Blue Gender...

CounterFett said...

Ooh, thanks, I'm almost done with Evangelion now. My friend sort of dropped some spoilers about Rei though, which I'm not sure if I'm upset or glad about, lol.