Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Simple Mecha Rule Sets: And The Gamers Who Abuse Them



Hey all, Counterfett here. Seems the worst part of the Star Wars addicition is in the past. Funny how these things come and go. Anyway, I'm back to regular old fashioned wargaming and what not. I was looking recently into a good fill in for an easy to learn Mecha war game.

Now, don't get me wrong; I've tried a LOT of dedicated mecha genre games. These have ranged from the trusty and beloved BattleTech (which has pulled yeoman's duty for me over the years), CAV, Mecha Crusade (a d20 supplement from Polyhedron, later pub'd in D20 modern), to even some of the more esoteric stuff.

The problem with the systems I listed above currently are:
  1. More complicated to play than I like right now.
  2. To much character/scenario creation.
  3. In the case of the miniature games, not enough emphasis on story and character progression.
  4. In the case of the RPGs, not enough satisfying "Crunchy" combat.
So what's the solution for me? I'm not sure at this juncture. Most likely some combination of things will occur. I will likely steal/invent something that meets my criteria. On the other hand, it is just as likely that my gamers' ADD will kick in and I will get distracted by the next shiny concept that rattles into my head.

4 comments:

Kaughnor said...

Why not try the new Robotech Tactics game. Just had a successful kickstarter. Its based off the Robotech RPG game from Palladium. Could fit all of your criteria.

WQRobb said...

Mekton Z? Jovian Chronicles? Chris Perrin's Mecha?

Nurglitch said...

Do some play-testing for me. I'll have cards to print out sometime within the next week or so.

CounterFett said...

@ Nurglitch: Sure, let me know, I am always down for trying new stuff.