Thursday, June 13, 2013

Counterfett Does Manga: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Volume 2

I don't know why I bother with the cover art, they are all quite similar.
Hey all, Counterfett here with another installment on my adventures in Japanese comics. I finally managed to track down volume 2 of the Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga, which is good, since it was close to the last of the volumes I have found, and I wanted to get this series progressing!

While being the shortest (seemingly) of the volumes, Part 2 has some fairly momentous events portrayed within (as this series goes, anyway...). Kowaru is introduced as a new transfer into Shinji's class and immediately begins mackin' on him. Dr. (Nurse) Ritsuko Akagi is revealed to be an agent of Seele within the middle school, and acts as Kowaru's 'controller'

Rei and Asuka, of course, are having none of this, however, and make concerted efforts to bring Shin back to, as they put it, "the straight and narrow." Heh, I love Japanese euphemism.

Also, in this installment is the first of Seele's overt attacks on the facility, a suspicious power outage which the Lab's staff has to go to emergency procedures to overcome. Also, the famous exercise bikes are introduced. I always wondered what that scene in the game was all about.

The last little bit of the volume involves the students on their class trip to Okinawa. And I thought it was cool that my class got to go to Yosemite. In any event, Shinji makes some rather overt moves on Rei. This is kind of surprising to me, as having read some of the more recent installments out of order, I had no idea things got this far. In the later parts, there's not much indication a lot of this stuff happened.

In any event, this volume was jam packed, and while a more brief read than I would have preferred, seems like an important one. In addition to the stuff I covered, there are of course, numerous fan service instances and loads of goofy romance. Very cathartic.

No comments: