Friday, June 21, 2013

Mecha Countdown #11

Good morning all, Counterfett here welcoming you to the doorway to the weekend. I'm having a short day here at work today, and as such I am feeling a bit magnanimous, and want every one else to have a good day too! Today's installment is from Starcraft, and as I referenced yesterday, the primary reason this one placed so high was that I was trying to spread out the entries from certain other genres that are placing quite frequently (Robo & BattleTech twofers, primarily). Though it is a cool mech in its own right.

#11 Thor

I have no idea if this is official art, but it's a great piece.
Ah, the Terran Dominion Thor. If ever the South were to rise again, I'd like to think it would be in space, and that they would design giant topheavy gun-toting mecha. The Thor was designed by the Terran Dominion to grant their armed forces mechanical parity with the Protoss. They largely failed, but the Thor is still a terrific unit. While not a one-on-one match for the Protoss Colossus, it is nevertheless cheaper, and quite capable of winning a two-on-one against said Colossus. Or an Ultralisk, for that matter.

It also reminds me a little of some of the Clan assault mechs from the later BattleTech TROs, like the Canis or Savage Coyote.

No comments: