Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mecha Countdown #14

Good morning all, Counterfett here on this fine Tuesday morning. Just when I was wondering to myself why I don't do these countdowns more often than I do, I get to #14 and remember. It's kind of a lot of work. Now don't get me wrong, it's a load of fun, but still, sticking to a theme for this long is hard for a guy with interests as varied and an attention span as short as mine. Nevertheless, today we return to anime (if Girlfriend of Steel even counts as leaving it in the first place), and see an iconic piece of animecha.

#14: VF-1 Valkyrie / Stinger


The VF-1 in 'Battroid' mode.
This is another twofer, as the Macross Valkyrie became the BattleDroids/Battletech Stinger (and not, strangely, the Valkyrie, which was a different 'mech). In any event, we will discuss the Macross Valkyrie, as the Stinger, and particularly the Stinger LAM (Land/Air Mech) was largely identical.

A pair of VF-1s in fighter mode.
The Valkyrie was a triple changing transformer, with modes as aerospace superiority fighter, mech, and an in-between mode called Guardian or GERWALK. I use caps because GERWALK is technically an acronym, for Ground Effective Reinforcement of Winged Armament with Locomotive Knee-joint. Really, do you think I could make that up?

It is really the archetypal anime mecha in my mind, maybe because I grew up with this stuff, maybe because of it being one of the more prominent 'Unseens' from BattleTech, or maybe because it's just a cool idea. In any event, the Valkyrie is pretty cool.

3 comments:

Dawfydd said...

Also awesome for getting used as the basis for the original toy of Jetfire from Transformers.

But yeah, the VF1 Valkyrie is pretty much the dog's whatsits ;)

Tomsche said...

I guess one could tie it at the title of 'archtypical mech of anime' between the Valkyrie and the original Gundam.

Still, my money will be on an EVA on top spot in 14 days ;-)

CounterFett said...

You might be surprised. I'm not going to rule it out. It's very likely going to be in the top 5. Unlike most of my countdowns, this one was not scripted from the beginning.

I am sort of posting these as I feel like it. So while the ranking is roughly what I think, it's a little less planned than usual.