Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mecha Countdown #20


Hey all, Counterfett here. I'm back to work, and boy does it suck. Seriously, not having a great day already. BUt at least I'm here, and thanks to yesterday's hookey day, it's going to be a short week. Additionally, sinc emy orders I have been waiting (forever!) for are finally starting to arrive, I'll have more toys and reading material to make me happier when I'm not at the office. Anyway, on with the show!

#20 AMP Suit.


I hated the movie Avatar. Really, it stank. I didn't want to go see it, had zero expectations, and left feeling soiled. That said, the AMP scenes were ok. I think of the AMP as sort of a Hybrid EXO/Mecha in that it's not that big, but I think it fits the bills isnce it has a cockpit rather than having the user's arms and legs actually inside the suit.

Also, while it has a bit of a 'western' look to it, being only vaguely humanoid, it does have what I think of as an 'eastern' mecha feature, in that the weapons and tools are held in robotic hands rather than mounted directly to the arm or frame. I always thought that was unnecessarily complicated for a robot, considering how easy it is to just bolt weapons in fixed mounts. But whatever.

4 comments:

Dave Bone said...

It's true that more and more "Western" style mecha seem to be sprouting arms, heads and other humanoid features not normally seen in the aesthetics thereof.

Yet, Gypsy Danger looks pretty awesome...

sonsoftaurus said...

If the mech is run by controls, yes some sort of fixed mount, especially on a shoulder or something (to leave hands free if you do have them for other work) would be best. I could see using hand held weapons if the mech is controlled by some kind of cybernetic link, as it would be more natural for pilots to use handheld weapons.

Mike Howell said...

lol, the first thing I said to myself was "ugh. I hated Avatar."

But yeah, that thing was pretty cool interpretation of the exo-suit. ...and yet somehow less cool that the loader that knocks Alien queens around. Go figure.

CounterFett said...

I think it's because of the era, the EXO from Aliens feels 'heavier.'

I don't know the ratio or prop/cgi on the loader, but I thik it's probably tipping toward prop. The AMP suit, on the other hand, is almost entirely CGI, I would think.