Friday, June 7, 2013

Mecha Countdown #24


Hey all, Counterfett here. Now, this installment might pose a bit of a controversial one, not from the subject being included, but rather due to how low it placed. It does hold a large nostalgic place in many toy collector and anime lovers' hearts, and as such I am including it in the countdown. On the other hand, I was never into this as a kid, and didn't have any of the toys, so it is hard for me to connect at a meaningful level with this franchise. Plus, even as a kid, I thought it looked goofy.

#24: Voltron

"By the power of..." wait, wrong cartoon. Did Voltron have a battle cry?
Yup. It's a robotic man made of robotic lions. With a sword. I played Battletech, and Warhammer, so I'm not one to knock the anachronism of a space age robot wielding a sword. Let's just leave it at that. That said, I know I watched a few episodes of this as a kid, but I just don't remember much of it. I remember there was one really small pilot, and a fat guy.

I always thought it was weird that it had five separate pilots. What do they all do when it's combined? Does it become like the crew of a ship? Like one guy has weapons, one has the helm, another sensors? Or do they each pilot their own part of the body in an awkward, high tech version of the three legged race?

All these questions and more, I just don't know the answers to, which is why this legend from the golden age of Anime rests solidly in the mid-twenties.

1 comment:

Mike Howell said...

I was too old to appreciate Voltron at its target age, but middle-age me has no disrespect for cartoon Kaiju battles.