Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Mecha Countdown #7

Good morning, all, Counterfett here. Now, Tomsche sort of spilled the beans on this one a week or so ago, in the comments, but this is a Mecha from a franchise that I know absolutley nothing about. I included it for completeness. It's a very important entry, but I don't know that I can do it justice. Coming from one of the oldest and strongest mecha franchises ever, this was just about the one that started it all.

#7: RX-78-2 Gundam

It could be said that this, rather than the VR-1 Veritech, is the archetypal mecha. They might be right. I sometimes regret missing out on these.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam. Like I said, I've never seen any of the series, or movies, or books, or mangas of this, but know how important it is. It's sort of a fluke that whatever phase of big stompy robot fandom I was in, Gundam was wrong place wrong time. I vaguely remember having a Bandai figure that looked a lot like the one in the picture above, and thinking it was super cool because it came with tons of guns, a shield, and a lightsaber, but that's about it.

So, for you Gundam fans out there, don't hate me. I tried to do right by you. I really tried.

1 comment:

Mike Howell said...

Classic to be sure. There are so many designers who contributed to the Gundam universe (U.C. ... the good one) that there is a wonderful variation all keeping within a reasonable limit. Mamoru Nagano for instance. His work has his distinct style but fits perfectly.

Watching the first 20 minutes of the first MSG movie (which is a clip show of the tv series) would be good to have in your "I've seen that" arsenal.