Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mecha Month #19


Good morning, all, Counterfett here. Sort of a hectic day yesterday, and I ended up taking a week off from Painting With Paint. I have something already done that was supposed to go up, but I guess you'll all have to wait until next week, eh? Hope today goes a little better. In any event, today's installment sees us return to the glorious world of Anime. And to another mecha that can arguable be called power armor, but since the Japanese call it a mecha, it's good enough for me.

#19: Landmate.


I tried watching Appleseed. I really did. I just didn't like it very much. I wanted to. But in any event, in the segment of the movie that I watched before I decided to not finish, I was really impressed with the design, execution, and portrayal of the Landmates.

Landmates seem to be employed as shock troopers or special forces rather than as armored vehicles, but since they are 'piloted' from a cockpit rather than worn, I put them here (since I ruled such when doing the power armor countdown years ago!). They remind me a lot of Votoms, and also of Heavy Gears, from that game.

5 comments:

Mike Howell said...

Great choice. I fell in love with Appleseed and landmates on this page:
http://www.anymanga.com/manga/appleseed/001/001/015.png

Mike Howell said...

...and so I post something that's not a landmate. Just combat armor. Derp. It does really show Shirow's love of that sort of mechanic though.

The little arms that the landmates have is so clearly reflected in GW's Dreadknight. Landmate with the first thing I thought when I saw it.

Dawfydd said...

I freakin' love Appleseed. It was one of the first manga series I read back in the 90's when Dark Horse serialised it in their Manga Mania/ Max anthology in the UK.

Unfortunately, all three films (whilst visually impressive) are not the best introductions to one of the more interesting science fiction series around.
If you get the chance (and haven't already)I'd highly recommend reading the manga. Shirow plays with some fascinating ideas and concepts, as well as articulating visually some brilliant designs...

CounterFett said...

I didn't realize it was from a Manga, might have to go find it and see if I liek taht better.

Dawfydd said...

As with a lot of his other series, Appleseed is a LOT goofier at times in the manga than the anime, but it plays with some more interesting ideas as well. Plus his technical design is gorgeous...