Sunday, July 14, 2013

In Her Majesty's Name - First Impressions


So, while I was on the roadtrip down to see my parent's KE554 and I stopped in a Barnes & Noble to see what they had different from our local branch. Lo and behold, they had Osprey Wargames' new steampunk skirmish game "In Her Majesty's Name.'

I picked it up for a reasonable $17, and set about nosing through it. I read through it a few times while I was at my parents' (as my wife has the tendency to do nothing but watch godawful cooking and reality tv every time she is exposed to enhanced cable). It seems pretty cool, and fits my gaming rationale pretty well: low model count, low startup cost, easy to learn.

While it comes with a built in setting and army list, one of my favorite things about the book is that all of the army lists are built off of a points system which allows you to easily make your own 'companies.' Want to play one of the companies detailed within? Fine. Want to instead run a warband of native american hunters lead by a werewolf? It would be pretty easy to stat that up. Not only would it be easy, it would be pretty darn cool.

In fact, I am thinking of making a 'good guy' force of some regular military or mercs, then making a few 'bad guy' companies. say one for each continent, then have the appropriate enemy depending on where the said adventure takes place.

Stay tuned, folks, I think I will be getting a bit more into this one. I'm pretty happy with the purchase, and as it seems 'counts as' friendly, I should be able to bang some games out soon.

2 comments:

Magos Kasen said...

Hmm, that sounds pretty cool. I've seen the system before but not given it too much of a look. Will be interested to see what you do with it.

Cecilia said...

This is awesome!