Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mecha Countdown #1

My #1 choices tend to be a bit controversial. This one might be a bit too, but for some reason this is the most sure I have been about a #1 choice since the Sci-Rifle countdown ended with the E-11. Today's choice is sort of the 'real deal' of mecha, being one of the most recognizable combat units of not one, but two science fiction franchises. I refer, of course, to that gem of Macross / Robotech, and Battletech...

#1: Officer Pod / Marauder
The only thing in Macross cooler than a Valkyrie. Once again, I got to play the bad guys because my brother played the good guys. Man I resent him sometimes.
God this thing is cool. When I see this thing, The Prodigy's "Invaders Must Die" starts playing in my head. Seriously. It might have been written about the Marauder. I'm a little hazy on the naming in Robotech / Macross. This might be called a Glaug? I know I've seen in called the officer pod, and that's how I think of it. I remember it's what the real villains used to drive. Considerably more durable and menacing than the dime a dozen battle pod, this thing oozes awesome.

Oh god, I loved TR: 3025
In BattleTech, it's about as cool, at the top end of the Heavy class, with good firepower, decent speed, and armor. It was on so many covers at the time, in the days before FASA got worried about Harmony Gold licensing, that I almost didn't realize BattleTech was the same game when I came back to it years later, as no Marauders could be found.

6 comments:

sonsoftaurus said...

Amen.

Dawfydd said...

Yeah, that's a fair pick :)

Quite happy to be getting two of these + a Khyron special as part of my pledge to the Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter. Although by the looks of things it'll dwarf the other mecha included so it may not be practical to proxy as a Battletech Marauder :(

paws4thot said...

H*ll YEAH!!

Ok, fixed that omission for you!

Coolest battlemech for sure, despite my love of Hunchbacks (using them to play "mech soccer" with another, heavier, battlemech's head in every other game you've piloted a Hunchback in will do that).

FirBholg said...

I feel a bit bad for commending during the countdown - I enjoyed reading it throughout, so thanks! I think you picked a worthy winner (Battle- or Robo-tech, one of the coolest Mecha ever!). Part of me wants to say 'What, no Patlabor?' but I think the top 5 I can't really fault (I'm kicking myself that I wouldn't even have thought of the Martian Tripods, and you've given me the impetus I needed to get around to watching Evangelion 1.11).

Personally, honourable mentions would also go to the Robotech Mac II Monster Destroid, The Invid Shocktrooper, 40k Knights (I probably prefer them to Titans, even!), Zoids, and Megas XLR ;) I'm also reeeeally looking forward to seeing Pacific Rim later in the year...

FirBholg said...

Also, that should totally read 'feel bad for NOT commenting during the countdown'... :p

CounterFett said...

Thanks all, I'm glad you liked this! It was loads of fun, and I knew I wouldn't be able to include some of the franchises taht I knew should be in. Patlabor was one. I've heard of it, but unlike Gundam and Appleseed (which I also never saw), I really didn't know anything about to make a pick.

Ironically, Code Geass was another, which I am totally into now. Might redo this in a year or so and see how the standing changes. Maybe as a 2 or three part post with just the pics and how the ranking changed?