Friday, August 30, 2013

Solo Gaming With Counterfett - Making Dungeon Tiles


Hey folks, Counterfett here. Last night, I made actual, bona fide, genuine progress on a gaming project. I know, it's been so long I almost don't know what to do with myself. Oh, anyway, regarding the project I was talking about a few days ago, I had printed up some hexagonal tiles from the free print and play game Patrol: Lost. I also printed Microlite d20 to make my solo character (which I still haven't decided on unfortunately). Lastly, I printed a random encounter chart for what things will be living in the dungeon.

So, in addtion to sleeving all of the rules pages, I had to decide how I wanted to make the dungeon tiles. I have tried glueing them to thick card paper, but that's hard to cut out. Also, unless you laminate them, they don't last. I've laminated them in the past, but the lamination machine usually heats them to the point where the black ink starts running (these tiles have a lot of black as a base color, so it makes sense).

This time, I wanted to try something different, that I had read about a few years back. I went to the home improvement store and bought the thinnest, cheapest, vinyl self-adhesive tiles I could find. I bought 4 faux-parquet woodgrain monstrosities. The pattern doesn't matter, after all. I peeled the backing off, and placed the printed dungeon tiles. Then, I simply cut them out with scissors.

My costs came to under $2.

Lessons learned.
  1. Have good scissors. The bargain store scissors I was using were kind of difficult.
  2. Cornering is also hard, so having the hexes laid out with as many straight lines is better, though if you plan cuts its easier too.
  3. A boxcutter WILL NOT work, as it just tears tiny shreds of the paper off of the tile as it drags, rather than cutting cleanly.
  4. Also, having the tiles 'pre-cut' in order to get the most out of each tile might not be a bad idea. If I had planned this better, I might have been able to get another set of tiles out of my materials. I only used three of the four tiles, and there were big unused pieces I could have made better use of.

No comments: