Sunday, September 22, 2013

Why I Write - Writers' Block - And Other Non-Communicable Diseases

Hey all, Counterfett here. I was thinking about posting some stuff on the Examiner today, and here, since I only posted lightly this week, and nothing yesterday at all. But, I'm feeling kinda complicated today. Some time back, our homey Gotthammer had a refreshingly honest post about why she writes and coping with depression. It was a bit out of character for her otherwise very upbeat forum. I have since done a bit of self examination about why I write so much. I'm sort of the same as her, but different.

See, this is stuff I already knew about myself, but never really just put into words.

For my entire adult life, I have worked in the service or sales industries. Most people see these as two different things, but they are really quite similar, in that you have to sell your own persona to the client for it to work well. I have done an exceptional job of this most of the time, because I am very good at hiding my opinions and feelings. See, in these fields, you don't have to actually like people, you just have to be good at faking it. I can take insults and verbal abuse and still work with someone, and smile doing it...most of the time. What can I say, no one's perfect.

This is where the part about why I write comes in. I promise.

So after being disingenuous, and telling people those little white lies upon which society runs, ALL DAY, I come home and want to be honest. It sometimes gets me in trouble. With my wife, for instance. Now, spouses can be like jobs, they don't really want you to tell them the truth, either. But a blog? I can write about whatever I want here. I mostly write honestly about what I think about games, collectibles, books, movies, or anime, and people who are interested in what I have to say will read it. If they disagree, great. If they agree, better still. If I can make them examine something differently, and maybe help them appreciate something they missed or get a laugh or brighten their day, then that's the best thing of all.

Then something amazing happens. Sometimes you make friends, and develop connections with interesting people who are into the same stuff as you are. Sorry, anyway, this was sort of a long winded diatribe, which it wasn't meant to be. Essentially, I write a lot because it usually helps me cope with stress and depression, and because I hope that maybe it helps other people who might be feeling the same way. But right now, for some reason, the idea of writing is making me feel more stressed! And that's why I've been posting a little lighter, I think.

So, thanks! I appreciate all of the cool input and friendship I've gotten from my eFriends over the past several years, and hope it's been a fun ride for all of you too. I seriously am going to get back to regular posting after this. I plan on having a Counterfett does Anime post tonight. Haven't decided what series I want to review, but I'll come up with something. Maybe The Sacred Blacksmith? Who knows.

No comments: